Sean Lennon and Cibo Matto


The first time I ran into Sean Lennon was at Zipperhead's in Philly. His album, Into the Sun, had just been released, and he was doing a mini-set with Yuka Honda of Ciba Matto. Afterwards, we talked about The Beach Boys' song, Sloop John Bee. Then I offered him some bubblegum.

"What's this?" he asked.

"Bubblegum," I said. "You chew it."

"Are you sure this is just bubblegum?"

"Yeah," I said. "Bazooka."

"I don't believe you," he said. "You look shady to me."

"No, it's Bazooka," I said.

"I'm just messing with you," he laughed.

Sean was immediately loveable. Just like his songs. "Sci Fi Wasabi" is one of my favorites from his former band, Cibo Matto. You can hear his beautiful sense of harmony on the chorus. Mino Hatori and Yuka Honda tear it up as well. I loved this band when they were together. Right now I am trying to do something similar with Slipshod in Korea. We'll see what we can up with. Hopefully, it'll be as tasty as this.



Sean's new album, Friendly Fire, is out in stores now.

6 comments:

amber said...

i like cibo matto...sugar water... but i never knew that sean lennon was part of the band... i never know things about bands...

Pirooz M. Kalayeh said...

I didn't know anything about music when I joined my first touring group. I was 19. All the other guys were much older. They just made fun of me the whole time.

"Who is Jane's Addiction?" I would ask. "Robert Plant, huh? Led Zeppelin? Never heard of them. What's Pink Floyd?"

My extent of music was reserved to Young M.C., N.W.A., Jimi Hendrix, Michael Jackson, musicals, Dinosaur Jr., and all the band that played at the 1992 Lollapalooza - which I went to only because I worked at a pizza shop and liked Rage Against the Machine.

In other words, I liked music, but I got schooled day and night with that group. So I know exactly what you mean. And, believe it or not, I still have trouble remembering song titles. Just like I cant remember people's names, but remember their faces.

Are you left-handed?

amber said...

Nope. I'm a righty. I remember people's names and faces way longer than I should after very brief meetings or introductions. I just only listened to music, never radio talk, or I'd find out what band sang a song I liked and I might buy that album or download that song but I never read liner notes or research histories of bands so I never know who is in the band. I don't care. I was only ever after the music. But I've recently stopped listening to music that wasn't recorded by old dead black men. Al Green. Otis Redding. That's the shit right there.

Pirooz M. Kalayeh said...

Who's Al Green? Sike! I hear you. That's cool. It's very sultry music to listen to. It reminds of when my college roommate and I used to take out his Louisville Slugger and practice singing Frank Sinatra tunes. I can sing a mean version of "Strangers in the Night." Of course, I make up my own lyrics and they're different every time.

Say said...

marshmello clouds.

amber said...

Now that I would pay to see.