I Survived Swine Flu


Apparently, I've had Swine Flu. Obviously, I survived.

Aquiles, Lee, and I all got sick after the ball game on Sunday night. I didn't go to the hospital. I felt like I should at one point, but then fell asleep. Sogee thought I was being a hypochondriac because I misdiagnosed gastritis last year and thought I was having a heart attack, so she just went to the other room to watch French movies while I coughed and hacked my way through the night.

"I think I am going to die," I told her.

"Okay," she said and turned up the volume on her movie. "You'll be fine."

Later, after Aquiles called from the hospital, and the whole possibility of death dawned on Sogee, she finally uttered an "Oh, Baby!" and coddled me for a moment. That was worth the swine flu, I think. There's nothing like people thinking you're a hypochondriac, when, in fact, you are far from it.

Anyway, I am now supposed to keep on my lonesome for a while. It's been almost a week, but I figure a few more days rest. Oh, and yes, I had to reschedule my GRE exam. I take it now on the 20th. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. I think it'll be okay. I'm hoping for above average. We'll see what I can muster.

FYI - I made a painting last week called "The Making of Swine Flu." I never thought it would be so prophetic.

"You should make one called 'USC'," Sogee told me.

"Maybe, I will. Painting your dreams is never a bad idea."

TIPS ON SURVIVAL*
  • Drink a glass of water every hour.
  • 1 Umcka Cold + Flu chewable each hour
  • 1 Extreme Tylenol Cold each hour
  • Rinse with Listerine mouthwash every hour
  • Sleep as much as possible
  • Put bags of ice on head and neck to keep fever down
* I am not a trained physician. This is simply how my body survived. If you have symptoms, I would go to emergency care immediately.

2 comments:

yak sox said...

Cheer up duude. Yeah, I haven't had it but it seems a bit overhyped. My bro had it, he went to the doc, they had no medicine to give him so he went home. Same with you - a week later he was fine.

Pirooz M. Kalayeh said...

Yeah, I'm fine. One of my friends wasn't so lucky. he was in the hospital for a week. As far as whet we were told, some people get it really bad, while others are fine.