Research for Filming a Feature in South Korea



I have been doing a bit of research for writing and filming a feature film in Korea. Thus far, I am pretty clear that I would like to do a piece on the youth of Korea and their secrets. The film is scheduled to be shot in the Summer of 2010. I have already recruited several people to help me bring this together while I'm in Los Angeles. 

Aside from producers in Korea and New York, several Yonsei students volunteered to provide me with a real-life-experience. 

"You need one," they told me. "You live too much in your head."

"Okay," I said. 

"You need to listen to Korean hard core music," they said. 

"Is there such a thing?"

"Yes," they said.

They took me to several music clubs in Hong Dae. I was surprised. There were a lot of emo bands. I couldn't understand what they were saying, but I could tell that they were trying to express pain and confusion. It made me feel like I was at a museum for human beings. 



This video is of the group, APOP, shot in the SPOT - a trendy hard core venue (filming costs $300/night).

I watched four bands perform. Most were a bit too watered down with trying to please an audience. APOP was different though. They were more about the music. The lead singer just did the songs. He looked disturbed and unhappy. The audience responded to him by shaking their fists. There wasn't any moshing. That is not a concept that is known or even permissible in Korea. 



Later, we went to some folk rock act on the southern end of town. It was in a coffee shop atmosphere. I didn't catch the name of the venue, but the music was bad enough for me to not ever return. The singer was a cross between being a bad Joan Baez and K-Pop wannabe.

Marc and Charles (above) were unable to standstill throughout the night. I tried to take their pictures, but they were always out of focus. That's okay though. I was appreciative of their guidance throughout the night. Whenever I got sad or started to tear up because my life was meaningless, they would remind me that it doesn't really matter because who said life had to have meaning.

"Yeah," Charles agreed with his cohort. "What if there is no meaning?"

"I don't know," I said.

"Then what's the point in crying?"

"I don't know."

"So get with the program! Take us dancing!"

"Okay," I said.

 I tried to take them to an 80s club called The 80s Club. We must have walked for about a half and hour in circles. I finally gave up. It was cold.

"Sorry, guys. I can't find it," I said.

"Aw, man," they said. "You suck!"

"Yeah," I said. "Life might not have any meaning."

"You suck!!" they said a bit louder.

"Yeah," I said.

"Let's go to Buster Red," Daniel said.

"Okay," I said.

We walked to Buster Red. The 80's Club was next door. 

"Oh, look!" I said. "There it is!"

"Yay!" the kids said.

Then we danced. 




No comments: