Korean Christmas

In Korea, Christmas is more akin to Valentine's Day in the states. Couples usually reserve hotel rooms, catch a theater performance, or snuggle together at a ski resort. Family is completely ix-nayed out of the equation. 


This is probably a mathematical eureka for some of you. I am no different. Family protocol that is steeped in approval seeking or fallacious propriety does have an energy sucking effect that rivals any Hoover vacuum or J. Edgar pucker. However, I tend to find amusement in such masquerades. It thrills me to watch a family member display pretension at the first sign of another's bombast. I will often keep tallies of these affronts in my squash record book. On the winning side, I personify an angry pumpkin, while on the other is a losing and indignant eggplant who sullies its cartoon dialogue boxes with imprecations. My seasoned eyes are often unprepared for the surprising blasphemes that can fill an animated square with tranquil repose.


When I am not animating nightshades, I enjoy posing with complete strangers as my future children. 


So Gee, on the otherhand, gets her thrills listening to Boyzone. 


My father-in-law owns discussions on politics and healthy eating habits. 


My brother and sister-in-law like cookies. 


I like human beings who sit on carpets as a part of their natural culture. I find this much more civilized than chairs. 


My brother-in-law believes Christmas and birthdays need to be celebrated simultaneously. 

No comments: