"I'm Happy!" and Other Korean Lights



Jim and I hit Suyu in style last night. We were quick to show our prowess on basketball shoot-offs, and offer the lastest demonstration of the technical superiority of Korean mobile phones.

"Oh, look at that!" Jim said as I requested more light. "Look-at-that!"

As you can see from the pic above, it only took a moment for our Korean colleagues to provide us with a lighted backdrop.

"It's art," Jim told our colleagues, as he posed in full Goar regality. "Pirooz is making art."

Although it wasn't my intention, I would have to say these photos are exactly that. Notice how the various elements come together to show a thirty-something poet in his writing prime, while he utilizes the latest Korean terminology necessary for anyone who has a Korean girlfriend:

"Hung Bo Ka Yo," Jim texts in Korean phonetics to his absent gf. "I'm happy."

"Now write "you're special," I encourage. "Tick pee yal koo hya ha yo!"

"Maybe just 'special,' " Jim laughs.

"Yes," I agree. "That's enough."

Later, we learned a few other phrases from our teachers. Naturally, I wanted to learn how to say nice things like, "You are the best!" and "Good job!" I was glad our friends were patient enough to teach us.

"Che goooo," our friends enunciated. "Waaaaay Ooooh."

"Che goo way oh!" I repeated to Jim. "You really are!"

"Oh, my," Jim laughed. "In two months, you're going to know everything."

I hope so. I don't see any point in not being able to speak this language. And luckily, Jim and I discovered an important step along this process when our colleagues showed us how Korean sentence structure followed a Subject-Object-Verb configuration, as opposed to the traditional Subject-Verb-Object procession of most Roman languages.

"That changes everything," Jim announced. "Every-thing!"

"Mmmm," I agreed. "That would certainly change things."

I poured another apple-flavored soju into my cored-apple-glass. I thought about verbs and objects for five seconds. Then decided it was too big for my mind to consider.

"To the Norabong!" I announced.

"Norabang?" One of our colleagues asked.

"Yes," I smiled. "You like to sing, right?"

"Yes."

"Then let's go sing."

We picked up beers at a local mart and managed to lose several dollars at a pick-up-prize arcade game, before Cyndi Lauper and "Sweet Home Alabama" were sounding out the main objectives of the night.

If you're lost you can look and you will find me
Time after time
If you fall I will catch you I'll be waiting
Time after time


Does life get any better?

No comments: